Looking For The Best Battery Maintainer For Motorcycles?
Here’s a look at our favorites, including our top pick – Battery Tender 021-0123 Junior 12V, 0.75A Battery Charger.
#1 Best Battery Maintainer For Motorcycles
If your motorcycle sits in the garage for a few days or longer in between rides, you should consider investing in a battery maintainer. Lead-acid batteries that aren’t used every day tend to gradually lose their charge, so at some point you’re likely to hop on your bike for a ride and find that the battery doesn’t have enough juice.
Instead of waiting for that day to come along, keep your bike connected to a battery charger/maintainer that can keep the battery topped off and fully charged at all times. It’ll extend the life of your battery, and it’ll make sure your bike is ready for every ride, any time.
What to look for
A good battery maintainer should serve two purposes—it needs to charge your battery to full capacity, and then it needs to maintain that capacity without overcharging. That may sound simple, but there’s a lot that can go wrong in that process. Overcharged batteries can seriously damage your bike and cause personal injury if something goes wrong while you’re riding.
As you’re looking around for the best battery charger and maintainer, here are a few things to look for:
- Trickle charger – battery maintainers with a trickle charger will slowly charge your battery, usually over a period of several hours.
- Microprocessor – a good battery charger/maintainer should have a microprocessor that can monitor your battery and switch off the charger when the battery reaches full capacity.
- Float mode – this is just another name for maintenance mode, when the charger isn’t actively charging your battery but rather maintaining the power capacity.
- Protection – in addition to guarding against overcharging, your charger/maintainer should have safety provisions to protect against short-circuiting, sparking, and reverse polarity.
The Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger is a whole lot more than a trickle charger. This puppy is compact, lightweight, fully automatic, and it has a brain (in a mechanical sense). It’s a microprocessor-controlled fully automatic charger and maintainer that’ll keep your ride fully charged and ready to go at all times, and it’s designed to extend the life of any lead acid battery that you’ll find in motorcycles, cars, trucks, ATVs, boats, airplanes, golf carts, and generators.
The complete 4-step charging system gets your battery to peak capacity without overcharging, and automatically switches to float mode when the battery is full. The solid state two-color LED light clearly indicates the charger stage, and if the battery voltage drops below full capacity the charger will kick back in to crank it back to full power.
- Comes equipped with alligator clips and ring terminals for easy hookup
- Spark-proof connection
- Reverse polarity protected
- 12-foot output cord
- 5-year warranty
- Perfect for charging 12-volt lead acid batteries
- Solid-state two-color LED indicator light
The Black & Decker BM3B Battery Charger is a dual-capacity charger with 6-volt and 12-volt selectivity. It’s an ideal choice for both charging and battery maintenance, and it can handle more than just your motorcycle.
When it’s not plugged into your bike, connect it to your off-road vehicle, boat, car, truck, or generator. It’s fully automatic, so it’ll charge the battery to full capacity and then stop when it’s topped off. The built-in circuit protection does a great job of guarding against short-circuiting, reverse polarity, and overcharging.
- Fully automatic battery charger and maintainer
- For use with 6V and 12V AGM, GEL, and WET batteries
- Easy connection with battery clips, O-ring terminals, or vehicle DC plug
- High-frequency smart charging technology keeps your battery at optimal charge
- Automatically switches between charging mode and float mode
- Built-in mounting bracket
The Yuasa 1-Amp Automatic Battery Charger and Maintainer is easy to use with a plug-and-play setup and a tri-color LED display. It’ll charge and maintain your battery with a 3-stage charge cycle that peaks at 14.4 volts, then automatically switch to maintenance mode.
The Yuasa is engineered to prevent overcharging and short-circuiting, and it employs desulfating characteristics that can bring any lead acid battery back to life.
- Simple plug-and-play functionality
- Tri-color LED display
- 3-Cycle charging with a peak of 14.4 volts
- Automatic switching from charge to maintenance mode
- Safeguards to prevent overcharging
- Includes quick-connect adaptor and alligator clips
- Desulfating characteristics to bring dead batteries back to life
Mroinge offers a variety of high-quality and low-cost auto accessories. This high efficiency automatic battery charger utilizes an MCU controlled program with an intelligent IC chip for smart charging and battery maintenance.
The device has four charging programs—initialization, bulk charge, absorption, and float—and automatically switches to float mode when the battery reaches full capacity. It offers multi-level safety with protection against reverse polarity, overheating, short-circuiting, and overcharging. It’s easy to connect to motorcycles using the included battery clips and O-ring terminals
- MCU controlled program with intelligent IC chip for smart charging and maintenance
- Protection against reverse polarity, overheating, short-circuiting, and overcharging
- Certified by the California Energy Commission for zero battery draw
- 4 Charging programs – initialization, bulk charge, absorption, and float
- Includes large battery clips, O-ring terminals, and 12-foot DC cord
- Two-color LED indicator light
- Two-year warranty
The DieHard 2-Amp Battery Charger & Maintainer is a compact, portable charger and maintainer that can be used with any 6V or 12V lead-acid battery. The device is fully automatic with a smart microprocessor and employs a 5-stage charging process for precise monitoring and control.
Float mode will keep your battery fully charged no matter how long the motorcycle sits in the garage between rides, and the device will automatically switch back to charging mode when the battery becomes discharged. In addition to the Charger/Maintainer, the kit includes 50-amp clamps, a 12V accessory plug, and a permanent ring connector.
- For use with 6V and 12V lead-acid batteries
- Microprocessor controlled, fully automatic
- 5-Stage charging process for precision and monitoring
- Float mode keeps your motorcycle topped off and ready at all times
- Reverse hookup protection
- Includes 50-amp clamps, 12V accessory plug, and permanent ring connector
Based on the reviews, I’d recommend going with the Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger or the Black & Decker BM3B. Both devices are highly rated, widely recommended, and built to last.